The Trump administration on Monday filed a lawsuit in California seeking to overturn a fracking ban that was enacted in the state’s coastal areas in response to a 2015 explosion in the Animas River.
The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, says the Trump administration is entitled to sue in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, which encompasses Los Angeles and San Diego counties.
The suit seeks to block the state from imposing a fracking moratorium.
The Trump administration did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In response to the explosion, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed into law a bill that requires operators to apply for permission from the state to frack and extract natural gas from public lands.
But the state has also allowed fracking operations to take place without a permit, allowing oil and gas companies to operate on the public lands without seeking a permit.
The bill passed the state Assembly in July but stalled in the California State Senate.
Last year, the Trump Administration and California Governor Jerry Brown signed into Law a law that banned fracking, which the White House said is harmful to California’s economy.